Job & Volunteer Archives
Recreation Assistant (part-time)
EmployerSpartanburg County Parks Department
Start DateJuly 27, 2015
LocationSpartanburg, South Carolina
Provides leadership in development of an integrated system of 50+ wellness programs, provided by or through the Spartanburg County Parks Department. Many of the services will be provided in VSP Centers, which are designed to retain and attract the 50+ generation through programs and service with active involvement of the 50+ generation in planning, marketing and delivering desired programs and services to meet emerging needs. VSP Centers provide a physical site for the over 50 generation to meet for social participation, decision-making on healthy lifestyles, independence, communication and information, civic participation and intergenerational impact. Each Center will have a common core of programs but each Center may also develop unique programs to meet the needs of citizens in the community served by the Center.
The Recreation Assistant will:
• In coordination with supervisor and utilizing guidance from Senior Wellness Initiative Committee, establish common core programs for VSP Centers; identify leaders for those programs and implement programs in coordination with program coordinators.
• Coordinate and staff a community advisory committee in each VSP Center. In coordination with advisory committee, develop and market distinctive VSP programs in each VSP Center in order to promote program and participant diversity and to encourage community participation.
• Coordinate and plan programs, in coordination with program coordinators in VSP Centers.
• Develop a system to report program participation and outcomes, in order to evaluate program impact and to continuously improve programs.
• Organize regular meetings to connect VSP Center leaders to each other and to diverse community services.
• Catalogue existing services for the 50+ population and include those services on Spartanburg County Parks Department website.
The Recreation Assistant will also aid in planning and implementing the 50+ Wellness Program through the Spartanburg County Parks Department.
Required ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires high school diploma and one year of experience in recreational activities or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires proficiency with Microsoft Office software applications.
Requires possession of a valid South Carolina driver's license and an excellent driving record. Must be able to successfully complete pre-employment screening processes, including passage of a drug screen and criminal background check. Must be proficient in or must be able to obtain certifications in American Red Cross CPR, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, and other safety certifications, as needed.