Time to Update Your Vision Senior Centers – so much more than you think!
Time to Update Your Vision
Senior Centers – so much more than you think!
Trinette Mumford, Facility Manager at the David B. Waymer Recreation and Senior Center, Huntersville
The first Senior Center began in the Bronx, NY in 1943. Senior Centers have come a long way since then. They are a gateway to the aging network—connecting older adults to vital community services.
A multipurpose senior center is a community facility where older adults of all abilities come together for services and activities that reflect their skills and interests and respond to their diverse needs. Senior centers are a resource for the entire community, providing educational and fitness programs, services and information on aging and assisting family and friends who care for older persons. Senior center participants may drop in for specific activities or programs, or they may spend the day at the center. Individuals or groups may access any variety of services depending on local community resources. Persons of differing backgrounds share and learn from each other. Volunteers of all ages with all types of skills and interests perform vital roles and enhance services and programs at the centers. For those participants at risk of losing their self-sufficiency, senior centers are the entry point to an array of services that will help them maintain their independence.
Examples of Programs and services:
- Group meals
- Educational sessions
- Finances during Retirement, Legal Documents For End of Life Peace of Mind, Staying in Your Home Longer, Downsizing, English Language Training
- Cultural events
- Health Education sessions
- Matter of Balance*, Chronic Disease Management*, Diabetes Self-Management*, Brain Fitness, Senior Nutrition Program, Medication Education, Cooking classes
- Wellness Activities
- Tai Chi, Yoga, Strength Training, Low-Impact Aerobics, Stretching
- Self-help Peer Groups
- Community Service Projects
- Intergenerational Programs
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Recreational Trips
- Services offered: Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP/Medicare Counseling), balanda assessment, exercise readiness assessment, income tax preparation
Because of Covid-19 most Senior Centers have been closed, or only held outside activities. As the warm weather continues, more and more events will be opening up. Check out the Senior Center near you today!
*Nationally recognized Health Promotion/Disease Prevention programs
Trinette Mumford has 10 years of recreation experience and is a facility manager with a background in recreation from Indiana University. She works for Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation at David B. Waymer Senior and Recreation Center. Trinette is an active member of National Recreation Park Association and is passionate about getting youth and seniors active in recreation.